The CMBTC has malting facilities capable of processing from 250 g – 100 kg of barley using any specified malting regime. The plant is equipped to simulate commercial malting conditions and is able to duplicate conditions from around the world including different types of commercial malting systems.
- Joe White Micro-Malting Unit
(250 g – 1 kg samples, up to 20 samples at a time)
- One HDP Pilot Malting plant consisting of:
- One Steeping Vessel capacity up to 100 kg
- One Germination Vessel capacity up to 100 kg
- One Kiln capacity up to 100 kg
- One Unimalter which can carry out steeping, germinating and kilning in the same vessel. Alternatively, it can be used as a second germination vessel.
- Assess the quality and performance of new crop Canadian malting barley annually
- Assess the suitability of Canadian malting barley varieties in different malting processes
- Evaluate the commercial viability of new Canadian barley varieties
- Provide technical support, information and assistance to customers of Canadian barley
- Evaluate alternative malting processes to enhance the performance of Canadian malting barley
- Develop and deliver technical programs for domestic and international customers of Canadian malting barley